Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Thursday, September 24

Hey guys -- The evenings during the week have become a bit of an issue as it pertains to extra work, coming into class, being crowded, etc.  There are many factors that play into this, but ultimately it comes down to planning and communication.  

Firstly -- If you plan on doing extra work around a scheduled class (mainly in the evenings) you need to do a few things:
1) Good -- Check first with the coaches to ensure that you will not be a space hassle, and work out a compromise to stay out of classes way.
Bad -- Walking through class and grabbing an airdyne/rower/etc. and rolling it through class. 

2) Good -- If you are doing extra work that is going to run over but would like to do the next class and are going to be late / miss the warm -up -- Ensure you tell the coach, and ask if that is still okay or if they would like you to cut the extra work early to be a part of the warm-up / instruction.
Bad -- Finishing whenever you like and rolling into class however/whenever you like.

3) Good - When coaches call people up to class, being there, being attentive, asking questions and setting a good example. 
Bad -- Hanging out in the olympic area chatting and being a disruption to the instruction. 

We all just need to do our best.  I am not perfect, I live on both ends of this and I understand both ends.  Sometimes for me I need to focus on my own warm-up and get behind the class warm-up, and try to catch up / pee / change gear during board instruction, etc.  I also know how frustrating it is to have 6 people doing class that are there on time that are members who are just there to hit class and then 3 other people doing something off on the side talking, then 1 person doing their own warm-up and 2 people doing extra work in the main area, and 5 more foam rolling/talking in the front/oly area, etc.  It is a lot to keep straight from a coaching perspective and trying to control all of those things at once can be very stressful.  The coaches look at you all as the experienced, "they know whats up" members...they should be able to count on you and look to you to help them, not be a part of the problem.  I want the best for my coaches, they all work extremely hard and deal with a lot of issues on a day-to-day basis. I also want this because it is what is best for my members -- so we, as a group, need to do a better job of communicating with the coaches and help them as much as we possibly can. I knew/know this will be an issue we consistently have to re-visit as people will tighten up and do better, then they will get too comfortable and relaxed on the 'rules.'  Just remember that you are leaders and we need you all to be a positive force driving classes and everything we do forward with positivity.  My apologies for letting you down from a 'leading through action' perspective, as I know some evenings I am not the model class member as well due to everything that goes on. For the next few weeks I will be taking a break from working out in the evenings, instead sticking around to coach / help.  There are no excuses and we need to get better - The members and classes come first, all of this extra work, competitions, the Games, all is secondary to creating a better atmosphere for everyone else.  

Secondly -- I would like to try to set and schedule a time for extra work every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening.  The options will be 5:30pm and 7:30pm -- and that is it.  You could do:
a) 4:30p class, 5:30p Extra
b) 5:30p Extra, 6:30p Class
c) 6:30p Class, 7:30p Extra
d) 5:30p Extra, 7:30p Class
e) 4:30p Class, 7:30p Extra
These will be your main options.  My assumption is that with this, most everyone will gravitate towards the same two times (options b/c above).  Which will be a good thing - it will provide a better atmosphere.  Inside of this atmosphere though we need to ensure we are done and cleared out for Barbell Club, this will also provide open area for the Kids Class.  In a few months we will have the golf room wall blown down and we will have a more open/private area to hit extra work, but the same rules will apply. 

I really appreciate everyone's hard work and dedication to this blog.  To date we have made more progress in just a few months together than I feel like we did all of last year.  I love our group and the hard work being put in -- and I want the entire community to feel as though we give something to the gym, not create clutter, chaos and distraction.  If these things cannot improve over the coming weeks we will not be able to offer extra work options in the evenings anymore unfortunately.  I hope everyone can understand that the gym atmosphere is a fragile and invaluable thing - and I cannot risk my members or coaches happiness. 


Extra Work:

1) EMOM15:
a) Push Press 3 Reps @ 70-80% of 1RM -- From Floor
b) 50s Farmers Carry w/ 70lb/53lb KB / hand
c) Overhead Hold (if possible with Yoke) - 20-30s, work on keeping the ribs down.

8 comments:

  1. Also - I'm not much for the "sensitive" talk - Sorry if this came across too aggressive to anyone. I fully understand that you all are members also, who work hard and put a ton of time in. I appreciate you all more than I could ever express. I don't want it to be all one-sided, we are all working on improving the atmosphere to continue to make FCF the best. This is 99% on me, I just need the other 1% to work as a cohesive unit to make us all better. My "real talk" is a bit to 'real' sometimes I suppose. Love you guys - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, do you know where we dont have the space/people issue for extra work? 5:30am. #RealTalk

      Delete
  2. I'll add on to this "REAL TALK"

    Don't fuck this up people. I need my evening extra work sessions. I'll kill you all if evening extra time is suspended or eliminated.

    Good talk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Thursday crew this morning, although there was a bit less #Sunshine at the gym compared to yesterday.
    Today was quite the Boulder Shoulder Bully day.

    Rowing was fine - stuck to 14cals. Started at 10 for dips, and that very quickly dropped to 9, then 8, then 7 reps by the end.
    OHS and T2B felt solid overall; had to break up the T2B in the last 2 rounds, abzzz on fire.

    Once again had a high quality pair of dominant athletes with whom to tackle the extra work - The Real ClarkyD and THE Littlest One in All the Land.
    Shoulders and grip were smoked by then. I made dramatic yelling noises during farmers carry, was barely able to clean the weight for push press due to grip failure, but the yoke hold actually felt pretty good.
    Proud of everyone. Come to 530A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work today. Should have bumped up the reps on the dips. OH squats were no issue but still need to work on T2B volume and more efficient kipping.

    Extra work with Starfox. Shoulders were smoked by the end of the day but a lot of fun this week. Looking forward to the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Started with extra work, which got the forearms nice and primed for the class stuff. Farmer carries continue to make me want to cry, as grip strength is a considerable weakness-- thank goodness I've got John there to constantly point that out-- however I did make it through the 50s each round. Did plank holds with Jen instead of the yoke OH hold in consideration of my core. Used 110 for PP and probably should've gone heavier.

    Class was kind of a struggle bus for me today. Started out with 6 ring dips and dropped to 4 around min 12. Got 12 cals for all but 2 rounds, where I got 10.

    After that, I then had the pleasure of getting completely smoked by Maria on the workout :) I did all sets unbroken but just really slowed down after my 4th round. Got through 6+5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff we all love you and think you're an awesome gym owner! Don't feel bad for real talk.

    Xoxoxo Lolz hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, LOVE THE BLACK WALL! Totally amazeballs! Second, good work to everyone yesterday! Did the extra work with Shine, JSans, Dru, and baby Gap. Did ring rows 12, 10, 10, 9, 9 instead of push press. Completed the 50s kettle bell farmers walk and did a 45s plank instead of the OH yoke hold. Was going to do class, but thought it was a better idea to go to the Jenny Clinic and get my shoulder on the right track. So, Jenny helped a sista out! Got some shoulder excersies and some lat work! You all are the best!!! The end!

    ReplyDelete