Monday, August 3, 2015

Tuesday, August 4th

Quick discussion on the upcoming month/weeks:

- So far I feel like since Regionals many of you have made drastic gains, strong PRs in weightlifting, vastly improved PR times on named workouts and improved gymnastics skill.  Going through Hatch was a successful venture for most everyone, lots of PRs in the specific categories we chose.  I found that an approach of generalities and global physical fitness worked better than separating everyone into categories.  Allowing people to hit the extra work together has resulted in greater intensity, more community in the gym/blog atmosphere, better frequency and thus better results.  We will be continuing with this approach in our next cycle, switching instead to Olympic Lifting strength (away from squatting, hoping that we have built that base properly). Instead of 1-2x/week of snatching/C&J you will be hitting every oly lifts every day.  Focus will be different day-to-day so ensure that you keep the focus of the day, sometimes that will be heavy, sometimes it will involve cycle speeds, sometimes it will be light and perfect reps only.  

- Nags/'dings'/injuries -- A lot of people are experiencing some joint issues, typically stemming from poor mobility/stability paired with an increased work volume.  There is a reason that most top tier athletes spend their lives recovering, mobilizing, healing and looking for the 'next best thing' from a recovery standpoint and this is it.  Spend the time warming up properly, cooling down properly and working your weaknesses as they pertain to joint health. These issues are not uncommon and my prescription for you over the next 2 months is to do everything in your power to remedy your nags.  More will come up throughout your year, 2-3 week issues, but if you are dealing with something that has lingered on longer than that you need to address it.  That might mean switching your 2hrs in the gym from just 15mins prep/CD time and 1hr45mins of workout to 1hr/1hr or just a conditioning piece and all rehab/joint health drills.  Talk with your coaches, doctors, massage therapists and heed their recommendations.  From October on it is full go, all the time, make it or break it...injuries will slow your progress into the Open - but right now you have an excellent opportunity to learn how to rehab/prehab and take the time off necessary to get your head AND body right.  

- The week of August 9th will be a deload week leading up to the competition on Saturday.  Due to the overwhelming lack of adherence and poor approach of everyone to follow my general recommendations last time, I will be hand holding everyone and giving specific daily instructions.  This will go from Sunday, August 9th - Friday, August 14th.

- Seminar style approach Saturday/Sundays -- This weekend (and ones before it) there were some glaring weaknesses exposed, and there are still a few we need to hammer down that haven't really been covered extensively from a coaching standpoint -- Legless rope climbs and handstand walks being the main ones that are highly likely to show up at regionals.  I would like to take some time out of our weekend training to further discuss how to improve both technique and training focus on these areas, instead of being rushed to get started and just having people kind of 'do whatever.'  Things like MUs and Butterflies that have been covered will not necessarily be covered. 

- Saturday Skulls (when we can do them at a maximum intensity) will be devoted to Open individual workouts, and Team Regional workouts over the next cycle.  I need everyone to simulate these days as best as they possibly can -- rest Friday and come in with a gameday approach. Yes, I will be chosing all of the worst ones...No, I don't want to do them again either - but it will make us better. 

- Saturday evening sessions -- Saturday evening sessions will start back up the week of August 22nd, with an evening Road March that I am trying to organize -- I would also like some help trying to organize an Open Water swim before the weather cools, as well as a longer bike (if Pelotonia doesn't burn me out). Ideally this will always be the day we get out of the gym to hit some general fitness stuff, have some "fun" and hang out.  

- The only thing that will be unique about this next cycle is that you will NOT always perform the class workout - Some days I may ask you to do the lifting portion of the workout but then break off into the extra work area.  Some days I may ask you to do full class, some days I might ask you to do nothing in class.  Remember, first and foremost, Class takes precedent over what we do, if you are planning on coming in the evening you MUST stay out of the way of the classes and not 'mosey' through them to get equipment or otherwise if it gets in the way at all.  You guys are free to continue to do class if you would RATHER do that...at this point however, we need to begin having a greater focus on more competitive things...Understand this will sometimes mean choosing the less fun of two options, disappointing class partners that you are used to going head to head against and giving up board spots....

Tuesday, August 4th:
****Make SURE you LOG EVERYTHING, we will be using a progressive weekly system in this cycle*****

1) With class perform a 3RM OHS, then move to the extra work area and complete the following:

2) E2MOM14:
2 Position Squat Snatch @ Below Knee, 2" off the ground - Hold both positions for 2-3 seconds, then complete the Snatches.  Begin at ~65-70% and go no higher than 80% working on hitting perfect positions. 

3) E2MOM16: 
2 Position Squat Clean + Jerk (only 1 Jerk at the end of the 2 Cleans) @ High-Hang, Above Knee - No holding positions here. Begin @ 65-70% and go no higher than 80%

4) 2 Rounds:
3min AirDyne Cals
2min Ring Dips
1min Burpees
2min Rest















52 comments:

  1. This makes me PUMPED! After the wedding can't wait to hit the gym hard and have some fun times! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys and Gals,

    First off, I would like to say I love reading the blog and all of your comments everyday. There is usually a few good laughs to be had, and I learn something new every time (thanks K$).
    Secondly, I wanted to ask if the Saturday afternoon sessions would be open to anyone, or would you like to keep it strictly highly competitive? I understand either way, but I do like to get out of the gym every so often too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucas - Everything we do is ALWAYS the more the merrier!

      Delete
    2. LUCAS! I literally can't think of anything more spectacular than you coming to #Skullzzzz.
      Already proud of you.

      Delete
  3. 1. 245
    2. Tuesday August 12, 2014 = 11:54
    Tuesday August 4, 2015 = 8:46

    Extra: I told Jeff that going forward I will opt to do class and then pick and choose my blog/bully work. Its not anything against the blog, its that I have the most fun doing class with a little bit extra on the side. Again, I want to improve but not so dramatically that I am forced out of retirement. Jeff/Jay's bounty-bully programming is more than enough most days.
    I worked hi-hang snatches and at the knee snatches for 6 rounds every ~ 2.5 minutes. 3 @ 135 3 @ 155. No cleans bc I did Big Clean yesterday. No cardio because I got enough during the workout.

    Side note: Proud of the #Grid team but kind of pissed at them as well. 5:30am is taking a hit and the #BestClassOtheDay needs more recruits! This is open to everyone. Anybody with a hint of interest contact me directly. (Best way to contact me is to come to 5:30am)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote from someone who recently started:
      "I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday (slept in/didnt come to 530) when I workout in the morning" - Sam aka the worst

      Delete
    2. No one has such a subtle, unspoken, yet undeniable command over a class like Ca$h does at the #BCOD. One simply can't help but take in all the positivity that Ca$h exudes like crack-cocaine-drugz, and become infinitely better in mind, body and spirit.

      #BCODplug

      Delete
    3. PS - nice PR Sir!! That's big.

      Delete
  4. I WANT MORE HANG OUT TIME - MY NORMAL FRIENDS SUCK AND YOU GUYS ARE WAY COOLER. #YOLO #FLICKADAWRIST #CARDIO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5:30 am!!! 5:30 am!!! 5:30 am!!!! =)

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkm1i2o6Ri8

      Delete
  5. I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) 3 rep OHS 210# PR!

    2) Snatches: 4 min at 115#, 3 min at 125# all felt solid. 2" off the floor is not my favorite

    3) Clean(s) & Jerk: 4 min 135# 4 min 145# again felt good. i like that high high hang!

    4) 35 cal, 22 dips, 19 burpees
    36 cal, 12 dips(yikes), 20 burpees


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that a 2x body weight OHS PR?

      Delete
    2. So your snatch and clean and jerk are the same?

      Delete
    3. K$ thinks I weigh 105#. Close :P (just missing like 30 lbs)

      John.... Pretty much....

      I messed up and only did 1 min of ring dips! Whoops!

      Delete
  7. Felt pretty good on OHS today and was able to nab 190# for 3 repetitions, with which I was pleased.

    Worked at 105 and then 115 for snatchings. Did not feel too solid - I don't work very often from those positions, so it was tough for me.
    Switching to cleans felt clunky; worked at 135 / 145 / 155.

    Bike Dip Burp was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And....GOT. IT?! Has everyone else using this worn it out for you?

      Delete
    2. Yeah K$ -- where is the GOT. IT. That makes my day when I read it.

      Delete
    3. Trying to keep it fresh.
      Need a new line.

      Delete
  8. CONGRATS ON ALL THE PR'S - WOOHOO!

    Trying to make a better effort to train smarter on this cycle. Skipped OHS and did Coach B warm up 3x (I don't think I'm doing it right and or doing all the movements but I am getting better at what I am doing.. lol)

    Snatch EMOM (only pulls in the positions) Started at 175 and worked to last two sets at 205. Really struggle in that mesh of 1st and 2nd pull area below or around the mid shin area.

    Clean emom - used 255 for it all and subbed out jerk for 1 front squat. Cleans felt good and love front squats.

    #CardioClark and I are continuing to take applications for our #CARDIOCREW #CC. Alex and I juiced up conditioning piece and added 4mins of rowing before AD since we didn't do OHS or class.

    Also subbed ring dips for hand release push ups #smartertraining #trainingsmarter

    First round 83 cal row/45 AD/ 25 HRPU/ 15 burps (VITAMIN D = ONE HUNDID)
    Second round 75 cal row/ 41 AD/ 30 HRPU/ 15 burps (VITAMIN D = ONE HUNDID)

    #K$ my freckle game is beginning to be stupid crazy.. Step your game up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely need to increase my endurance. I'd love to jump on to the #cardiocrew

      Delete
    2. There's no going back!

      #CardioDruuuu

      Delete
    3. CSans - it's not a fair fight. You are able to show much more skin.
      Meanwhile, I played in a golf outing yesterday and my golf tanz, especially the v-neck tan, is off the charts right now.

      Delete
  9. Ohs was alright. I'll take it for over a week or so off.
    - 215# for 3

    Extra:

    50/ 25/ 15
    41/ 26 / 16

    ReplyDelete
  10. OHS felt good ... Should of taken bigger jumps to have more rest and time for the last set...
    Got 2.5 (ha) at 170

    Snatches felt really good.. Did 85,85,90,90,95,100 (something like that)

    Clean and jerks also felt good (shoulders were right but was getting the hang of it towards the end) - 110,110,115,115,120,120,130 (something like that)

    For the cardio..
    Cals 30 and 21
    Ring dips 18,16
    Burpees 15,18

    My shoulders were on fire ... But today was a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first day back from vaca! Not sure what my old 3 rpm was for OHS but I think 155 at body weight is a PR? Felt super heavy. Snatches did 85 and 95 then clean and jerks did 105, 115 and 125. On the aerodyne I forgot to keep track cause I was so focused on time, ring dips did 10 and 12. Really need to work on kipping so I can do it. Burpees I forgot to count. Felt much stronger on round 2 though. Glad to have so many fun people to work out with to do this with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hit another random 4:30p class tonight and it was BUMPIN'! So many cool kids to exercise with tonight!

    Hardest part about the OHS was getting it overhead. Once I switched to split jerking (instead of push jerking) to get it overhead, it felt much better (I know, DUH). Happy to have hit 165 for 3 -my old 1rm! Felt solid.

    Working on snatches was great... At least from the perspective that it's something I need to spend more time on! I worked at 85# for all but my last set which I did at 90# (80%). Oddly enough that one felt the best!

    Cleans felt great, jerks need some work to get more aggressive. Started at 110 and worked up to 135.

    Then came the cardio sesh. That first round on the airdyne was ROUGH but the good news is it seemed to get easier after that. First round I did: 34 cals, 15 dips (strict), 15 burpees. Second round I did: 30 cals, 15 dips (strict), and 15 burpees.

    Great night, great people, great workout! Not too shabby for a Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3RM OHS @ 135, 165, 185, 205, 215, 225, 235 -- All makes, felt solid today - Not a PR tho

    Snatches @ 155 x 2 rounds, 165 x 2, 175 x 2, 185 x 1

    C&J @ 205 x 2, 215 x 2, 235 x 2, 245 x 2 -- Jerks a bit off, snatches and cleans felt solid.

    Workout was a bit of a shit show...tried to get what I could out of it but lots and lots of people around, no where to really do dips so I just did 1min of Dips and 2mins of burpees last round numbers were as follows:
    AD - 56, ~45
    Dips - 27, 11
    Burpees - 14, 27

    Ready for #GRID tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just want to say Im glad Im here & should of came here a lot sooner. Worked with Jeff on OHS, Sn, & C & J hit the same numbers
    Rd 1 Airdyne: 50cals dips: 32 burpees 21
    Rd 2 Airdyne 46 cals dips: 30 burpees 19
    Great training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea what took you so damn long

      Delete
    2. Great to have you here (at Friendship) and more importantly here (on the blog) - Now get on that JENK girl and Johnny Ringo! (working nicknames)

      Delete
    3. Hey now sir... Slow your roll! I posted! You mean Baby Gap!?! Lol!

      Delete
    4. Glad you guys came it was fun working out with you and Jen!!!

      Delete
  15. Hit the entire class today because I'm an over achiever. I also love weighted vest broad jumps. And I had a former player wanting to try some CrossFit out. #moldinglives #touchingliveslegally
    OHS-stayed at 145 for tempo x5s. Need to get back on consistent OH sqts again.
    Class-don't know the time but I beat my guest. I showed him whose boss. Even though he's only been crossfitting for about a month on his own maybe I still feel good.
    Snatch-145/145/155/165/175/175/175
    C&J-205/205/225/225/235/235/255/255
    No cardio-just some strict super dips I learned this weekend.

    Weigh out after 2-a-days: 207.8

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow looked like a fun day. Sorry I missed out. I seem to have come down with some sort of plague. I will spare you all the details but it is unpleasant. I will keep this disease out of the gym and up my cardio this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the plague...please no more. I feel for you bud.

      Delete
    2. I will keep it from the gym. I dont wish this upon anyone.

      Delete
    3. AW WILL! Get better.... Jeff & I had the plague some weeks ago.

      Delete
  17. Great crew today at the 4:30! Really awesome to see and work with everyone, it was like an early week skulls!

    OHS I PR'd for "in Nanos and sans belt". 185 for 3! Also that's a 30lb Jump in weight for me in just a month so I was happy with it!

    Snatching - 125 for the first 6 trying to work on full extension and then did 135 for last set. Snatches felt good today.

    Cleans & Jerk - 165,165,175,185,185,185,185,185

    Interval metcon:
    Air assault : 46/48
    Ring Dips (strict): 11/9
    Burpees: 19/18

    Great day today, looking forward to the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. did heavy squats yesterday so kept the lifting today a little on the lighter side. Hit 130 for 3 OHS which was actually a 5# PR but it felt pretty easy. For the snatches I stayed at 65% to really work on form. I really struggle with the below the knee hang snatches. The clean and jerk felt much better. Worked up to 75%. After lifting I only had a few minutes left so I did some quick double under work. Lifting isn't nearly as fun out of town by myself. Missed all of you this evening.

    Ps I just learned what BCOD means from the above comments #ihadnoidea

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! My name is Jen and I like long walks on the beach, cake and wine.... oh wrong blog? My B. JUST KIDDING!

    OHS: worked up to 155 for 3.... OHS are not my fave but gotta start somewhere! Shoulders a little weaksauce

    Snatches: 85/85/95/105/105/ 115/115 something of this nature
    Clean and jerk: 125/125/125/135/135/135/145/155 I think. I'm not really sure!

    As for the deliciousness of the 3rd workout:

    rd1: 44/10?/12
    rd2: 32/7?/10
    Dips are something that needs to be worked on for this ole girl!

    Thank you Chelsea, Kenz and Sunshine for letting me work in with you guys and for all the smiles and encouragement! Also thank you for letting me come and be a part of your gym. I should have made this decision years ago, totally agree with Ryan! THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! So much FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sososo happy you're here!!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha that made me laugh! And I was happy to see you on a Tuesday at 430!! Can't wait for our next meet :)

      Delete
  21. My shoulders are still a bit wonky so I built up to a lousy (but strong) 105# for 3 OHS. Wanted to keep building but ran out of time.

    Extra:

    Snatches - 65/65/70/70/75/75/80
    C&J - 105/105/115/115/125/125/125/135

    Rd1 - 35/21/12
    Rd2.- 32/23/13

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hit it with Chris this afternoon. Looks like 1pm for me this week with morning camps and PM work. Did not hit class or OH squat or snatch work after the elbow flared up again. Being smart and trying to heal. Hit mobility and shoulder care with Csans as he stated above!

    ReplyDelete